Rules That Mezzanine Floor Builders Need To Keep In Mind
Mezzanine floors are often used to create extra space in commercial and residential buildings. They are built between two floors taking the advantage offered by high ceilings. However, before getting these floors installed, there are several regulations and codes to be adhered to according to the laws of the land. Since a load is being added to the base of the building, it is necessary to take a look at all the factors before going ahead with mezzanine floors in Chennai. Although the building regulations might seem a bit daunting, they have been put in place to ensure the safety of the building and its residents. Let’s take a look at some of the building regulations in relation to installing mezzanine floors:
· Proper calculations need to be done to ensure that the structural design can support the expected load.
· The structural design of the mezzanine floor will need to be submitted beforehand to ensure that it can support the weights.
· The fire safety codes also need to be adhered to. Once the design of the mezzanine floor has been completed, it needs to be checked that it is covered by the fire regulations code according to the local law.
· There are several rules as to how much area can be taken up by the mezzanine floor based on the area of the ground floor.
· The access to the mezzanine floor also needs to be in compliance with the building codes to prevent anything untoward happening at a later point in time. Depending on the use the mezzanine floors it put to, the access to it usually through stair, lifts or even conveyor belts.
Advice From The Top Mezzanine Floor Companies
Although there are several laws governing the installation of mezzanine floors, they are not very difficult to comply with for builders as well as mezzanine floor companies. Interestingly, if the mezzanine floor is to be installed in a commercial space and no alterations are made to the outside of the building like additional windows etc., special planning permission is not required. Experts in the industry advise getting the design done initially and presenting it to the building commission office within the area. Once the new plan has been passed, you will have no trouble in getting a new addition to your building. This is better than having to make alterations after the installation of the mezzanine floor which can even lead to more expenses.
With the ups and downs of the current economy, it is not possible for families to shift to larger homes. Mezzanine floors offer a respite for this and can be used for a number of purposes making them cost effective. Some homes use their mezzanine floors as a home office space, or a sleeping space, or a comfy reading corner. Interestingly, some innovative people have even converted their mezzanine floors into fun art corners where the kids can have fun discovering their creative side.
Mezzanine floors in office spaces are often used as extra storage space or as a pantry room or even as the photocopier room. Since the purpose of the floor needs to be determined beforehand, it helps the designers to determine how much load the floor would be required to handle and design it accordingly. Mezzanine floors are even used to store old files and records keeping the rest of the office look neat and presentable.
Since mezzanine floors can be designed to be accessible via different options, it makes it a good addition to a warehouse as well. Merchandise or raw material can be loaded and unloaded to the mezzanine floor using a conveyer belt or even a lift. This helps utilize the extra space offered by the high ceiling inside the warehouse and save the business money that would have otherwise been spent in renting out extra space.
At the end of the day, every mezzanine floor needs to be compliant with the building codes as well as the fire safety codes to ensure that it remains a safe place. These codes have been put together after a lot of deliberation to bring more order to the installation of mezzanine floors. It also ensures that unexpected accident does not take place due to shoddy installation.