Role Of Industrial Shelving Racks In Warehouse Safety
A warehouse is a commercial space reserved for storing goods. Such a storage space is a significant component of any logistic system and an inevitable element of supply chain system as a whole. The racking or the shelving system used in a warehouse plays a very crucial role in the safety inside a warehouse. Improper organisation and poor maintenance of racks will lead to accidents and injuries to the employees. Hence the service of an excellent storage rack manufacturer is a must in any warehouse.
The accidents which may occur related to shelving in a warehouse are swaying and falling down of the racks. As most of the racks carry very heavy items, falling down may cause serious injuries to the employees or whoever present near it at the time of the accident. Such unfortunate incidents can be reduced to a great extent by strictly adhering to certain safety measures in warehouses. Read on!
A Few Must-Consider Safety Tips In Connection With Metal shelving Racks In Warehouses
• Place the items as per a proper plan– Having an appropriate plan about where the shelves need to be placed, and the items that are going to be stored is beneficial. While making a plan, do not forget to consider the height of the racks. Choose the spacing between the racks in such a way that the goods can be easily accessed which would enhance the safety of the employees.
• Choose the racks made of robust materials– Most often, the purpose of the racks is to store massive items. So the racks should be strong enough to hold the weight without swaying or falling down.
• Beware of the load limit on the shelves– The industrial racking systems would have a limit regarding the maximum load it can withstand safely. Do not overload them in any case as doing so increases the risk of accidents and dangers.
• Train your employees rightly– Make sure that your employees are well aware of the loading capacity of the racks so that they take care not to overload the same. Moreover, the employees should be well trained on the proper navigation practices through the warehouse. This is a must because the employees are the ones who frequently move in and out of the warehouse carrying forklifts. Chances for overloading a rack or for a forklift getting bumped on a rack are very high if the employees are not trained properly.
• Guard your racks to reduce hit impacts– Even if the employees are trained well, there may be hits and bumps on the racks occasionally. So, it’s wise to ensure safety by guarding the racks with brackets which can be mounted onto walls. Fitting anti-collapse meshes or nets on the back of the racks, handrails, etc. also prevents the falling down of objects.
• Do regular maintenance, and quick repairs– Most of the industrial shelves are designed and manufactured to stay durable for a long time but only if they are maintained rightly. Conduct regular examinations and check for any damages in racks. If you find any damages, get them repaired immediately or replace them.
• Choose shelving systems according to your project– Multiple types of shelves are available in the market. What is suitable for one purpose may not suit another. So, invest in your shelving system only after properly analysing your requirements.
• Do not make adjustments without consulting with an expert– Most of the racking and shelving systems are designed in such a way that they are flexible to a certain extent. The height of the racks might be adjusted, or extra units may be added. But while making such adjustments, the uprightness, as well as the load-bearing capacity of the shelves, may vary. So any adjustment should be made only after expert consultation.
Choose The Best Retail Shelving Manufacturers
Now that you know the importance of the shelving and racking system in warehouses, it is your duty to ensure safety in warehouses. Spending a considerable amount of time in researching the available manufacturers in the market is highly recommended as making a wrong choice may lead to accidents and disasters. So choose the rack-builders wisely! Do not succumb into unrealistic offers from low-quality manufacturers. Try to study genuine reviews before making a choice. Choosing the right producers as well as paying attention to all the safety tips listed here can ensure that the shelving system in your warehouse is safe and secure!